Up-to-dateness of the topic of juvenile justice
MacArthur Foundation’s Network on Adolescent Development and Juvenile Justice began operations in 1997. During that period, the juvenile justice system became increasingly harsh and punitive.
This has led to an increase in juvenile delinquency in the United States, and juvenile offenders have been given the harshest sentences in adult courts.
However, this trend was due to ignoring a vital principle of a separate juvenile justice system: children are not as mature as adults. Therefore, the juvenile legal system must take this into account.
Most research on this topic examines two main aspects of the importance of juvenile justice.
Data from many studies suggest that young people do not adequately assess the importance and nature of litigation. This fact affects their cooperation with lawyers, evaluate their actions and judgments about the individual circumstances of the crime.
The justice system must take into account the social and emotional immaturity of young people. Children are not able to control their impulses like adults. They are unable to assess all risks and are easily come under peer pressure.
These issues must have been regarded when treating juveniles. And, obviously, a different court system needs to be applied to adolescents.
Write a quality essay without slosh!
Although an essay is a very creative type of written work, it still has its features and writing rules.
Whatever topic you write your essay on, you need to follow a clear work structure. Any written piece will lose its logical chain if deprived of a precise gradation between the introduction, the body, and the conclusions.
An integral part of the essay is the thesis statement. This is one sentence that describes the nature and direction of the whole essay. It is usually written at the end of the introductory part. The thesis statement can be competently formulated when the author has clearly defined his position on the issue under consideration.
When we talk about juvenile justice, it should be noted that this topic has its supporters and opponents. On the one hand, there are many arguments in support of the development of juvenile justice as a separate part of criminal prosecution.
However, at the present stage, opponents of the creation of juvenile justice have become more active. In their opinion, the emergence of this structure will lead to the actual abolition of the constitutional principles of family protection. The opposition believes that juvenile justice is aimed at undermining traditional family values, provoking corruption, and juvenile delinquency.
Your main task is to take this or that side and reasonably argue it.
In the central part of the essay, you need to use as many persuasive arguments and interesting facts as possible to support your position.
In the juvenile justice essay conclusion, emphasize the importance of your essay, the relevance of the chosen topic, and summarize the arguments.
Do not forget about the smooth transitions between the three main parts of the essay. And of course, depending on the size of the writing, your article may consist of more paragraphs.
Juvenile justice essay sample
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the question arose in the United States that juvenile offenders should not be treated as adults. An atypical concept of the judicial system has been applied to juvenile offenders. Litigation against children was more informal than against adults. However, in practice, the juvenile justice system has some shortcomings.
One of the most discussed issues is – what is juvenile justice? What new can it give to society, and what results after its implementation will be more – positive or negative?
Juvenile technologies vary from country to country, but there is something that unites them.
This is a unique, atypical juvenile court scheme. It is also the dominance of educational activities for offenders of this category of persons.
Juvenile justice is the legal basis of the system of institutions and organizations that administer justice in cases of minors who commit crimes.
In addition to justice and delinquency prevention, juvenile justice includes prevention of:
- juvenile delinquency;
- crimes against children;
- social and psychological rehabilitation of juveniles who have committed offenses, as well as teenage victims of aggression.
The goal of juvenile justice is the need to follow an individual approach to the resolution of minor cases, which will provide additional guarantees for the rights of this category of persons. The priority here is the rights of children, which they are unable to realize.
The main principles of juvenile justice are:
- The value of the minor’s personality in court
- Active use in court proceedings of data on a minor obtained by the court from specialized auxiliary legal institutions (services, bodies)
- Strengthening the protective function of the court concerning a minor. Improved judicial protection of a minor as a victim, witness, defendant is carried out by closing the court hearing in all cases of juvenile delinquency.
- Giving preference to educational activities over correctional facilities
- Specialized training of judges; particular (simplified) procedure for proceedings against minors
- Availability of a system of specialized support services.
Juvenile justice has created a whole system of non-judicial and even non-legal bodies that perform the role of service. They have ancillary functions, and often in the course of the historical development of juvenile justice began to displace the court as a body of truth.
The juvenile justice system is a set of state bodies, local governments, state and municipal institutions, and officials. They carry out actions based on the procedures established by law, aimed at the realization and protection of the rights, freedoms, and interests of children (minors).
Juvenile technologies are a set of measures aimed at the realization and protection of the rights, freedoms, and legitimate interests of minors.
In many countries, juvenile courts operate closed, fast, for several days. They decide to remove children without lawyers without submitting to the global justice system.
The rights of children take precedence over the rights of all other categories of citizens.
Besides, there is a practice of completely abolishing the punishment of minors, even for criminal offenses. This makes it impossible to fight juvenile delinquency. For example, Sweden has a well-developed juvenile system, but there are no separate juvenile courts. However, juvenile delinquency has increased by 25% over the past 30 years (http://svspb.net/ ).
Summing up, we can highlight some disadvantages of the juvenile system:
- negative results of juvenile justice due to the imperfect system:
- rising juvenile delinquency,
- breaking family ties
- the irresponsibility of young workers: with broad powers to interfere in raising a child, they are not entirely responsible for their actions
- too full capabilities of juvenile services: as a result of expanding the powers of juvenile services (courts and social services), the probability of interference of these structures in the affairs of individual families increases
- delays: the early intrusion can prevent early intervention. Due to the overburdening of courts, or their inefficiency, there are delays in consideration of cases. And this slows down the process of preventing juvenile delinquency.
Live juvenile justice essay topics
There are topics related to juvenile justice that require perfect knowledge of the law. Some questions require a meticulous and detailed study. These factors make choosing a topic for an essay on juvenile justice, not an easy task. Also, law school students are often limited by the word limit in an article or time.
Sometimes it is possible to write a quality essay only after studying other research paper topics in this field.
We offer a list of current research that will significantly simplify your life in choosing a relevant topic for your own juvenile justice essay paper.
- The impact of drugs on the growth of juvenile delinquency. In this topic, you can explore the relationship between drug addiction, health, family ties, and poor education.
- Types of correctional facilities for juvenile offenders.
- Types of correctional facilities for juvenile offenders. You can explore different rehabilitation and re-education programs for juvenile offenders in this context.
- The role of youth offending groups in the education of children and adolescents at risk.
- Study and comparison of juvenile systems of different countries.
- The difference between juvenile justice and adult criminal justice.
- Does the juvenile system need improvement, and what exactly can be changed?
- How does physical and moral abuse of a child affect the likelihood of developing violent tendencies in children themselves?
- Do many juvenile delinquents turn into adult offenders?
- What crimes should juvenile offenders be tried on an equal footing with adults?
- Role and functions of the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- How does juvenile justice help reduce the recidivism rate among young people?
Writing can be perfect
Do you decide everything in your life on your own? We believe that each of us sometimes needs outside help.
You may also be in dire need of help writing an essay or research paper on juvenile justice.
It takes a lot of effort and time to write a quality essay on such a topic. And if you do not have enough time or do not have enough training, contacting an essay writing service will be your best decision.
What are the advantages of using our services:
- experienced professional writers
- quality guarantee
- authentic works
- execution in a short time
- the best prices
So, do not waste time and write to us, and we will do the hardest for you!
Why research on juvenile justice is important
When a child or teenager commits misconduct that is harmful to other people or society, the state, as represented by its law enforcement agencies, is only interested in such activity’s external manifestations.
Issues of “internal justification,” motives the behavior of a child or teenager is fading into the background. But it is precisely the inner content of the minor’s misconduct that separates him radically from the adult.
This problem has led to the need to create a separate branch of justice – juvenile justice, which would regulate minors’ affairs by different criminal laws. Juvenile justice is an autonomous system with its goals, procedures, organizational structure, and legal regulation.
The practice of juvenile justice is often controversial. This, in turn, is a reasonable basis for studying this issue and is a good reason for numerous scientific studies, articles, and essays on juvenile justice.
Answers to the most common questions about essays on juvenile justice
Why I chose a juvenile justice essay?
The topic of juvenile delinquency is gaining relevance every year. Statistics on this topic are becoming increasingly disappointing, necessitating a more in-depth study of this subject and the search for practical solutions. Essays and research on juvenile delinquency are an integral part of the search for alternative methods of combating this problem.
How to write the juvenile justice essay introduction?
You can choose different approaches for the juvenile justice essay introduction. For example, in the introduction, you can go to the historical background, or explain the basic concepts of this topic: what is the juvenile justice system, or why it occupies a special place in the overall justice system.
Why is juvenile justice important?
The basic concept of juvenile justice is that adolescents cannot be tried in adult courts. Children are more vulnerable to outside factors and less responsible for their actions. The juvenile system helps rehabilitate and re-educate adolescents and reduce the juvenile crime rate.
What is the juvenile justice synthesis essay?
The juvenile justice synthesis essay is an analytical, written work in which you consider the theory from different angles and use various sources of information to study juvenile justice and delinquency further. In this way, you establish their relationship with your thesis.